New Venue For 2011
Safaricom7s moves to the Nyayo National Stadium in 2011.
- The Safaricom Sevens has been held at the RFUEA Grounds since its inception in 1996. It has witnessed massive growth, both in team participation and fan attendance.
- Average attendances over the past few years have averaged 15,000 fans. This large attendance has put a strain on the infrastructure at Kenya rugby’s spiritual home.
- With the tournament’s ever increasing popularity, it was felt that a move to a bigger, spacious venue would give fans and players a better, more comfortable sevens rugby experience and the Nyayo National Stadium emerged as the obvious candidate.
- Nyayo National Stadium is centrally located, it will be easily accessed by rugby lovers.
- With readily available hospitality areas, broadcast,medical facilities and changing rooms to boot, the Nyayo National Stadium is crucial to the Kenya Rugby Union’s plans to see the Safaricom Sevens up there with the best tournaments on the international stage.